Roadworks will affect access to highways in the Adelphi Quarter
A series of road closures are set to take place within the Adelphi Quarter of Preston ahead of the next phase of the University of Central Lancashire’s £200 million Masterplan.
Works will begin on July 30 to reroute below ground utility services from beneath the site where the new Student Centre and new square will be built to enable easier access when required in the future. Planning approval (subject to conditions) was granted to UCLan for the circa £60 million centre and new Civic Square in January.
The roadworks are scheduled to last approximately 10 weeks, concluding in mid-October. Dates may be subject to change:
- Maudland Road: Monday 30 July – Thursday 2 August (closed)
- Walker Street: Wednesday 1 – Saturday 11 August (closed)
- Friargate: Monday 6 – Wednesday 8 August (closed 7pm – 5.30am)
- Fylde Road: Monday 6 – Friday 17 August (filtered traffic)
- Corporation Street: Thursday 9 – Monday 13 August (closed 7pm – 5.30am)
- Corporation Street: Monday 20 – Friday 24 August (closed)
- Corporation Street: Monday 27 – Wednesday 29 August (closed)
- Corporation Street: Tuesday 4 – Thursday 6 September (closed 7pm – 5.30am)
- Maudland Road and Walker Street: Connection works – September – mid October, final dates to be confirmed.Michael Ahern, UCLan’s Chief Operating Officer, said:
We are now on track to complete the preparatory phase in the development of our Student Centre and new square and our plan has always been for this work to be carried out during the summer months, minimising disruption as much as possible.
We’d encourage road users to plan ahead and allow extra time for their journeys during this period, particularly over the bank holiday weekend at the end of August. The teams are doing everything they can to ensure the work is completed as efficiently as possible with minimal inconvenience.
UCLan’s new Student Centre, which has targeted a BREEAM (environmental quality) rating of ‘excellent’, will be 7,304 sqm providing a new reception area, informal learning spaces and a student wellbeing support centre.
Designed as an iconic gateway to the City, the new square will span 8,440 sqm providing flexible and adaptable spaces for a wide range of community, public, business and student uses.
Any questions about the road closures can be sent to UCLanMasterPlan@uclan.ac.uk.